This blog has moved! You should be automatically redirected in 5 second. If not, visit http://terrellrhea.com and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Finding Comfort in all the Wrong Places

The temptations in your life are no different
from what others experience.
1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT

We all have vices. Food. Cigarette. Wine. Beer. Shopping. vicesWhatever it is, there is some habit that we fall back on when we’ve had a long day or a good day, whether we’re stressed, anxious, angry, or sad.

The object of our vices won’t harm us if done responsibly or in moderation but vices are habitual. There is not just one drink, one cigarette, one potato chip, or one pair of shoes. Sooner or later we will find ourselves addicted and dealing with the consequences. We may become overweight or find ourselves in debt. Worse, we could find ourselves with cancer or liver disease.

The things is that God wants to be the one you turn to. I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep saying it because it’s something that I need to be reminded of constantly: God is jealous for us and he will bear no rival for our attention and our affection.

He wants to be the one to give you rest.

He wants to be the one who comforts you.

He wants to share your joys and your sorrows.

I need to remember this. I need to remember that food is not the answer. When I am stressed or frustrated chocolate will not help. If I am lonely, potato chips will not bring me companionship. If I am tired, french fries will not give me rest. The Lord can fill up the emptiness of my heart it was that food never can.

I live in hope for the day when food no longer provides me the comfort that I need.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis